Monday, June 23, 2008

Thing #15

Wow! I had a professor once who said we should not hold our students to our (way of) learning. I must say that the video pointed out that there are too many educators still teaching the way they were taught. Most educators are comfortable with what they are familiar with. (Hey, we got to the moon with good old fashioned teaching. It worked for me, for them, why not forever?) I tend to believe that we shouldn't "throw out the baby with the bath water". There still needs to be a person to respond. I think that a lot of educators can remember the small town library, mine was a square red brick building, downtown, with one middle-aged librarian on staff. This is the LIbrary 1.0 that I read about today. It seems transitioning to 2.0 is where we are today. There are many people that are comfortable with the 1.0 model. and moving into the 2.0 , the Product, is somewhat intimidating. Does anyone have this contrast in their family? I have two relatives who are 89 years old. One has a computer and sends e-mails, looks up information on the internet. The other wouldn't come near a computer much less own one. People are different at any age. At some future time will there be "internet police" that will raid the local library and force them into compliance?
This course has really made me realize the complexity and depth of the internet. Yes, I have heard of things like blogs, avatars, but never ventured into that. This is only the tip of the iceburg. How long do you think it will take to get to 4.0? The year 2525 comes to mind (Ha!). However, when I think of the advancement from the horse and buggy to the landing on the moon, it shouldn't take us long.

No comments: